2018 Wheeling Heritage CX Preview
November 8, 2018
- This Sunday the CCC returns to Wheeling Heritage Park, hosted by the Northbrook Cycling Club.
- The Wheeling Park District welcomes us back for a day of cyclocross racing. And we are welcome back every other day we aren’t racing too. Check out the events and programs the park district offers throughout the year. Things like kids’ triathlons, free concerts, cultural events, camps, and sports galore. There’s even one called Wine and Yoga. It could be the greatest mashup to happen since cyclists started riding and running with their bicycles.
- Preliminary staging will be posted here.
- Electronic maps will get you closest to your destination by using 105 Community Boulevard, Wheeling. We shouldn’t have to repeat it, but DO NOT GO TO MELAS. Proceed beyond the pool building on the left to the west parking lot on the right. Please keep the angled parking lot closest to the Community Center open.
- Heritage Park is a no drone zone due to its proximity to the Chicago Executive Airport. The airport code is PWK for those of you trying to inspire a new tire tread with your racing prowess.
- The pavilion grass loves feet. It can’t stand bicycle tires and it really hates tents. Please don’t make the pavilion grass angry. It has a few picnic tables to share in its company. There are plenty of other open areas along the course for setting up tents.
- Food and drink. The park district food trailer will be back, taking center stage at the pavilion. No alcohol is allowed per park rules except for purchase. A variety of other food and beverage options will also be available.
- Weather. The forecast shows a little bit of orange covered by some grayish-white, but temperatures should be unseasonably cool. Okay, cold. Upper 30s, with moderate breezes. Okay, winds. Please monitor the forecast and dress appropriately for conditions.
- Warming up is sometimes hard to do, but there are paths to ride throughout the park. Many have lake views to make it easier and more enjoyable. As always, be mindful of pedestrians and other patrons of the park. The Community Center building is also open to us. Showers are available, but please do not bring bicycles into the building.
- Volunteers needed: Robert Paetsch is looking for a few volunteers to help with course set up, marshalling, and repair. Please email him if you’re interested. Volunteers race for free and have lunch provided.
- The course:
- Sunday is Veterans Day. Thank you to all who have served in the United States Armed Forces. The Northbrook Bicycle Club would like to dedicate our day of racing in remembrance of George Garner, Sr. He served in the Marine Corps in the WWII era before opening his first bike shop in 1947 after the war.
- The course runs clockwise. Flat at the start until it transitions to the southwest corner of the park via the closed-off path, through the table top finish area, over to the course elevation for a couple ascents/descents before an off-camber run around the pool embankment to do it over again and again. There should be a short course option for the Juniors 9-14’s and Cat 4/5’s. Less elevation = more laps.
The team that started this series with an effort to save the Velodrome who by the way, are also famous for basically inventing the modern bicycle shop experience are hosting tomorrow. Cool. Good luck to all!
No clams on the band shell, but the Wheeling Park District food trailer will have pizza and hotdogs along with hot and cold beverage for purchase. It is cash only.
The park is thriving with improvements and has been an active construction site with a new children’s park and an addition to the community center going up. The course avoids most of the heavy machinery tracks, but some may be prevalent in the area around the course. The track was frozen this morning before thawing later in the day. The same conditions should exist tomorrow morning with slightly warmer temps.
The neutral pit was moved about 50 yards south to avoid path demolition that happened this week. It is now equally accessible from the staging side or the finish line side of the pool. No water for bike cleaning is available on site.
Thanks to the many volunteers who turned the park into a race course today. Have fun tomorrow.